Click here to view the available Newlyn School Paintings
The Newlyn School was an art colony based in and near Newlyn - a fishing village on the south coast of Cornwall - from the 1880s until the early twentieth century. It was where artists gathered to paint plein air.
Some of the first British artists to settle in the area had already travelled in Brittany but were attracted by Newlyn’s wonderful light, cheap living and the availability of inexpensive models. The artists painted the fishermens’ life at sea and the everyday life in the harbour and nearby villages. Walter Langley is recognised as the pioneer of the Newlyn Art colony and Stanhope Forbes as its father. Forbes and his wife founded the Forbes School of Painting in 1899 which promoted the study of figure painting.
In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries Lamorna, a fishing village along the coast from Newlyn became popular with artists of the Newlyn School and is particularly associated with the artist S J ‘Lamorna’ Birch who lived there from 1908.
The present day Newlyn Art School was formed in 2011, with Arts funding, and provides art courses taught by many of the best known artists working in Cornwall today.